Job Posting – Sports Event Manager
About GLSA & GLCVB
The Greater Lansing Sports Authority (GLSA) is a division of the Greater Lansing Convention and Visitors Bureau (GLCVB). The GLSA’s mission is to be the leading voice of sports tourism in the Greater Lansing area and to promote economic growth by attracting a diverse range of sporting events to the region. The GLSA will strive to enhance the quality of life for area residents through the development of local sports and fitness programs for all ages, and to support the continued development and maintenance of safe, high-quality athletic facilities.
The vision of the Greater Lansing Convention & Visitors Bureau is to inspire everyone to celebrate and love Greater Lansing as much as we do! Which goes hand in hand with our mission, to positively impact our community’s quality of life by developing the region as a visitor destination.
The GLSA/GLCVB is committed to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The organization vows not to discriminate against any employee or job applicant because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex (includes gender identity and sexual orientation), physical or mental disability, or age.
We are seeking an experienced professional to join our sports authority team. This full time, salaried position reports to the Executive Director of the GLSA and is responsible for coordinating and managing GLSA created events, serving as the local organizing committee on GLSA secured events and managing long-term and ongoing events.
Creative and collaborative, dynamic, fast paced work environment. Full time position located in professional office in Lansing, MI. Standard work hours Mon.-Fri. 8:30 am – 5 pm., with opportunity for flexible/part-time remote schedule. This position involves working some evening and weekend events.
Knowledge and appreciation for the mid-Michigan region and the #lovelansing community. Ability to develop and foster relationships with event organizers and appropriate hospitality industry partners, leveraging these skills to increase sports development in the region.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree preferred. Three to five years experience in sports development and event management strongly preferred. Experience in the hospitality industry or with a sports commission desired.
- Develop and maintain relationships with sports rights holders, National Governing Bodies, local facility representatives and the lodging community in an effort to develop and support sporting events in Greater Lansing.
- Manages local coordination of sports events and related activities. Responsible for the coordination of long-term and ongoing sporting events. Serves as the GLSA host representative on locally organized committees when necessary. Works on-site at events as needed.
- Coordinates sponsorship for GLSA owned, created and supported events.
- Develops and maintains appropriate community relations related to sports event coordination.
- Work in collaboration with Executive Director and Sales Manager to assist and support sport sales initiatives and efforts.
- Work in collaboration with Sports Services Manager to ensure groups are supported and events receive required service.
- Responsible for professional written and verbal communication with clients, members, and a variety of other professionals.
- Assist with the development of sports related budgets. Makes necessary decisions to operate within the budget.
- Represents the organization at meetings and trade shows sponsored by national, state and local organizations related to sports and event management.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Essential Physical and Environmental Requirements
- Requires physical activity for extended periods of time such as computer work/keyboarding, telephone use, bending, reaching, twisting, sitting, and standing.
- Requires lifting, pushing and pulling objects over 25 pounds.
- Travel in personal automobile and air travel required for Bureau Business.
- Strong knowledge of sports development and event management
- Extensive knowledge of the Greater Lansing area and ability to effectively communicate that knowledge to visitors; knowledge of the hospitality industry and its importance to the local economy; ability to understand the role of the GLSA in the community.
- Exceptional customer service skills and an ability to handle various individuals and personalities in a professional manner.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively as a team member at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to exercise initiative, judgment, diplomacy and maintain confidentiality in a wide variety of internal and public situations; outstanding relationship building and networking skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills; ability to handle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills including grammar, spelling and general written correspondence skills.
- Excellent computer skills; proficiency in Microsoft Office software.
The Bureau offers an award winning, team-focused environment with competitive compensation and benefits package which includes:
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans
- Medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- Company paid life insurance, short term disability and long-term disability
- 401K with employer contribution
- Paid time off, including paid holidays
- Education reimbursement program
- Professional development/training opportunities
Qualified candidates should send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Sports Event Manager” in the subject line.